Create a 1-credit World Languages Module
A message to faculty from SAS Dean of Humanities, Rebecca Walkowitz:
In the spirit of creating different learning experiences for our students, I would like to invite you to take The 991 Challenge!
What is The 991 Challenge?
The 991 Challenge is an opportunity for faculty to think outside the traditional norms of scholarship, to create different learning experiences for their students, and to motivate them with innovative pedagogical approaches.
The Language Engagement Project (LEP) is looking for proposals of interdisciplinary and/or innovative collaborations between departments and/or schools that offer 1-credit language modules under the 991 subject code, World Languages.
Modules are considered to be an additional fourteen meeting hours of language or language-culture-related offerings that are added to a three-credit course and taught by the same or different instructors.
Call for Module Proposals
LEP is seeking modules in STEAM and Social Sciences fields that integrate languages and cultures across the curriculum. Interdisciplinary proposals in a language other than English are encouraged.
To participate, PLEASE CLICK THIS LINK TO FIND THE NEW MODULE PROPOSAL FORM. Fill out the form and use the red button on the bottom of the PDF to submit your module for initial approval by January 10, 2022. If approved, you will receive an e-mail from the LEP Director, Doaa Rashed, putting you in touch with LEP Pedagogy and Curriculum Board members who will help you develop the final proposal syllabus.
Information for your department/program:
- Award funds of $1000.00 are transferred from SAS to departments, then to the faculty.
- The module enrollment will be credited to the department originating the parent three-credit course to which the module is attached, per the SAS Dean's instructions.
- Faculty compensation for teaching the module is from the department, as well.
- Classroom setting must be face-to-face or synchronous remote (not asynchronous)
- For the list of previous awardees, follow this link: https://lep.rutgers.edu/faculty/previous-awards
- Approved proposals will be offered in Fall 2022 or Spring 2023.
Rebecca Walkowitz, SAS Dean of Humanities